In the midst of the 19th century the studies of commerce in Spain began to emerge, although similar developments existed in various cities previously, though within private institutions and commercial consulships, which provided commercial training. These institutions were officially recognised in 1857, the time of origin of the Commercial Schools.
In the case of Valladolid the origins of the Faculty of Commerce date from the year 1887 as the so-called Commercial School of Valladolid (“Escuela Elemental de Comercio”). The emergence of the school trace back to the city’s economic growth in these years, driven by the trade, the banking sector and the powerful metal industry, in the range of railways. Since then and until today the development of commercial studies is associated with various economic impulses of the city and the region of Castile and Leon. Here the studies passed through diverse development processes, in which their organisational and training structure varied continuously, with the objective of adapting them to the constantly changing requirements of economy and society: from Commercial School, through Higher Commercial School and Business School, to the Faculty of Commerce.
COMMERCIAL SCHOOL OF VALLADOLID
(“Escuela Elemental de Comercio”)
The increasing importance of these studies, the growing number of students and the strength of economic life in Valladolid, enabled the School of Commerce to make a change, classifying itself as a school of higher education, in 1902, with the support of the deputation, the city administration and the chamber of commerce of Valladolid.
HIGHER COMMERCIAL SCHOOL OF VALLADOLID
(“Escuela Superior de Comercio”)
On 1 January 1902 the studies of commerce of Valladolid passed officially to the higher category. During this period existed a variety of study plans (1903, 1922, 1953) which continuously adapted themselves to the needs of commercial life. Among other things, this happened due to the interest of improving education’s quality, wherefore in 1932 the school rose to the level of Higher Commercial Studies (“Altos Estudios Mercantiles”). Furthermore, during this period (especially in the year 1929) the school established a fixed location in a building at Calle Estación No. 5.
BUSINESS SCHOOL OF VALLADOLID
(“Escuela Universitaria de Estudios Empresariales”)
Since 1971 the studies in Economics and Business separated from Political science and established an independent degree creating the faculties of Economics and Business. In 1972 the Commercial Colleges became integrated into the University, renamed to Business Schools (“Escuelas Universitarias de Estudios Empresariales” (E.U.E.E.)) and finally build the first study cycle of Economics and Business.
After a series of different study plans in this period of transformation, the centre established a new plan in 1973, which was valid until the restructuring, initiated by the law of University Reform (“Ley de Reforma Universitaria” (L.R.U.)). Ultimately the plan of 1994, regulated by the credit system (ECTS), replaced the former.
In the end, and due to the increasing number of students, the Business School (E.U.E.E.) felt obliged to move its location into a new building at the Campus del Prado de la Magdalena, today Campus Universitario, which fulfilled the requirements of the centre, on 24 January in 1994.
FACULTY OF COMMERCE
(“Facultad de Comercio”)
After the successful establishment and implementation of the degree of Commerce in the academic year 2010-11, seen as a pioneer within the degrees of the University of Valladolid, the centre had to consider a renaming, in order to adapt itself to the new European Higher Education Area and to the requirements of the Bologna Process. Ultimately, in the year 2013, based on a proposal of the Governing Council and on a previous supportive report of the Social Council, the University applied at the Department of Education to found the Faculty of Commerce of Valladolid (“Facultad de Comercio”). Although this institution would replace the Business School (E.U.E.E.), it would stay at the location Campus Universitario. On 5 December 2013 the Governing Council of the “Junta de Castilla y León” (a governmental body of the autonomous community) confirmed the change on a session, supported by a positive report of the Agency of Quality of the University System (Acsucyl) and the University Council of Castile and Leon.